Re: Oracle Database Corrupted during SAN switch firmware upgrade

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:17:57 GMT

Have you looked at your Alert log to find out why the database crashed? If your firmware upgrade forced the SAN offline for even one second, then it is highly possible that the database will crash as it won't be able to access it's datafiles. The Alert log should give you more information (unless that is on the SAN too).

HTH,
Brian

conehead wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone knows of any database settings that we could
> check to discover why one of our oracle databases failed during a SAN
> switch firmware upgrade. The server is a SUN Solaris with Veritas DMP
> 3.2 and a JNI 1063 HBA driver level 2.5.21.
>
> When we performed the firmware upgrade the database hung. The server
> admins indicated that there were no issues with Veritas and in the
> var/adm/messages there was a brief 1 sec offline/online message that
> is normal for a SAN switch firmware upgrade or fabric update. We
> observed no problems with other servers during the upgrade and have
> since performed other firmware upgrades to the other paths on the same
> server without issue. Have no idea where to go at this point, any
> info would be appreciated. Thanks
>
> John

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com