Re: problem with listener on oracle 8.1.7

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Jul 2003 14:22:14 -0700

vask001_at_yahoo.com (VasantKumar Naidu) wrote in message news:<d9a73221.0307272210.678ae054_at_posting.google.com>...
> Svend Jensen <Svend.S.Jensen_at_it.dk> wrote in message news:<3f23fcc7$0$32503$edfadb0f_at_dread16.news.tele.dk>...
> > VasantKumar Naidu wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a problem:
> > >
> > > I am running SCO Unixware 7 with Oracle8i (8.1.7.0.0). The system is
> > > running fine but I am facing this problem.
> > >
> > > When I start the listener, it starts successfully and give the
> > > following summary:
> > >
> > > Services Summary...
> > > cbi has 1 service handler(s)
> > > PLSExtProc has 1 service handler(s)
> > > The command completed successfully
> > >
> > > But when I connect to the database through the tnsnames.ora file:
> > >
> > > I get the following when I check for the listener status on the server.
> > >
> > > Services Summary...
> > > cbi has 3 service handler(s)
> > > PLSExtProc has 1 service handler(s)
> > > cbi has 3 service handler(s)
> > > cbi has 3 service handler(s)
> > > The command completed successfully
> > >
> > > Why does this happen, sometimes the transaction stop, the query hangs
> > > but the if I restart the listener everything is fine for the sometime.
> > >
> > > I am giving the configuration of my listener file below:
> > >
> > > listener.ora
> > > ------------
> > > LISTENER =
> > > (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
> > > (DESCRIPTION =
> > > (ADDRESS_LIST =
> > > (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
> > > )
> > > (ADDRESS_LIST =
> > > (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 172.16.1.179)(PORT = 1521))
> > > )
> > > )
> > > (DESCRIPTION =
> > > (PROTOCOL_STACK =
> > > (PRESENTATION = GIOP)
> > > (SESSION = RAW)
> > > )
> > > (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = cbicpp)(PORT = 2481))
> > > )
> > > )
> > >
> > > SID_LIST_LISTENER =
> > > (SID_LIST =
> > > (SID_DESC =
> > > (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
> > > (ORACLE_HOME = /home/app/oracle/product/817)
> > > (PROGRAM = extproc)
> > > )
> > > (SID_DESC =
> > > (GLOBAL_DBNAME = cbi)
> > > (ORACLE_HOME = /home/app/oracle/product/817)
> > > (SID_NAME = cbi)
> > > )
> > > )
> > >
> > > *****
> > >
> > > below is the tnsnames.ora file from my server:
> > >
> > > tnsnames.ora
> > > ------------
> > > INST1_HTTP =
> > > (DESCRIPTION =
> > > (ADDRESS_LIST =
> > > (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = cbicpp)(PORT = 1521))
> > > )
> > > (CONNECT_DATA =
> > > (SERVER = SHARED)
> > > (SERVICE_NAME = cbi)
> > > (PRESENTATION = http://admin)
> [...]

Responding again. Your reply seemed to have made it to my yahoo account with delay, and never showed up in google. When I came home there has been a powerdip in my house, so it took me a while to recover from that.

As to the info sofar:
I am baffled. Multiple service handlers definitely are normal. You would typically get one for your dedicated server, one for your shared server, and one for the 'old style' connect_data = (sid_name = ) entry.
However, all those service handlers you are getting are primarily for the BEQ(ueath) protocol, which is a *local* non-routable protocol. So, yes, it does look strange, but, no, you probably don't suffer from it.
The only other advice I can provide is to submit a TAR. Your config files are absolutely correct.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Jul 29 2003 - 16:22:14 CDT