Re: 2 Oracle doubts

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:17:30 +0200

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:00:29 GMT, Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote:

>Because I "know" my data, I
>can put NY and IL at the beginning of the States table and find it on the
>first couple of rows most of the time. If I made an index, they would be
>in the middle.

IMO this is just a pretty stupid approach. It means that whenever the order of the records inadvertently changes, your application won't work anymore. I can only fear how the rest of your application looks like when you are relying on a particular order of rows in a table. The comment 'If I make an index they would be in the middle' is also pretty nonsensical. It is quite easy to add a priority column, index that column also, and query according priority.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Jul 25 2003 - 15:17:30 CDT