Re: 2 Oracle doubts

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_no_spam.comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:43:58 GMT

Why not try number 1 yourself. It would take less effort than posting the question. As for number 2 , no dates are not strings they are dates.(RTFM) In sqlPlus etc. you will see the output of a date represented as a string and this is what confuses people. (same with numbers, what is onthe screen is a string representation of the number not the number, a lotof people put in a high percision number inthe back end, doa select in sqlPlus and think that Oracle has rounded the number- it has not - the display of a number was rounded). In Oracle dates have a time component whether you specify it or not when you put it in there. If you do not specify the time component it assumes midnight. So if all the dates are at midnight then you can easily do an equality with a date (in the database) and a string constant converted to a date (see manual, sql reference to_date function). However , if the dates are not all at midnight then you must specify the time in the string constant converted to a date or do a range. (eg everything from midnight of this date to just before midnight of that date) Jim