Re: Intermedia Text in 8.1.7.4

From: Rob Cowell <rjc4687_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:42:02 +0100

Thomas Troendlin wrote:

> Hi
>
> After enabling the context type indexes all seems to be working fine
> exept for one point. We are not able to use different tablepaces for
> the indexes than the default tablespace.
>
> In the Oracle Documentation you can find the following storage
> parameters for setting up the Basic Storage.
>
> ---------
> begin
> ctx_ddl.create_preference('mystore', 'BASIC_STORAGE');
> ctx_ddl.set_attribute('mystore', 'I_TABLE_CLAUSE',
> 'tablespace foo storage (initial 1K)');
> ctx_ddl.set_attribute('mystore', 'K_TABLE_CLAUSE',
> 'tablespace foo storage (initial 1K)');
> ctx_ddl.set_attribute('mystore', 'R_TABLE_CLAUSE',
> 'tablespace foo storage (initial 1K)');
> ctx_ddl.set_attribute('mystore', 'N_TABLE_CLAUSE',
> 'tablespace foo storage (initial 1K)');
> ctx_ddl.set_attribute('mystore', 'I_INDEX_CLAUSE',
> 'tablespace foo storage (initial 1K)');
> ctx_ddl.set_attribute('mystore', 'P_TABLE_CLAUSE',
> 'tablespace foo storage (initial 1K)');
> end;
> -----------
>
> But it doesn´t work either.
>
> Is anyone out there which have an good advice ?
>
> Thank you
>
> Thomas

Thomas

It probably is working, just not doing what you expect to see. If you select the tablespace your index has built in you'll probably see 2 indexes :

index_name in SYSTEM
DR$index_name$X in DEFAULT_TABLESPACE

However if you look for %index_name% in USER_TABLES you'll see a load of tables called stuff like

DR$index_name$I
DR$index_name$R
DR$index_name$K
DR$index_name$N

At least some of these will be in the tablespace you specified in the BASIC_STORAGE storage object.

You should be aware that it is very important that $R tables include a 'lob (data) store as (cache)' clause in the storage or you'll get terrible query performance. There's a Metalink note # 179380.1 that explains.

I'm pretty new to interMedia Text myself so I haven't got all the answers. There's a lot of reading to do to understand excatly what's going on behind the scenes. I've taken the opinion that since indexes are only rebuilt periodically and not updated along with the table there's no real disadvantage to storing them in the tablespace the data is in, and it keeps things a lot simpler for me.

Rob Received on Fri Jul 25 2003 - 09:42:02 CDT