Re: TNS Protocol adapter error when connecting to a different Windows Domain

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 20:40:23 GMT

Hi GP, thanks for writing this:
> I have an instance that is on a Windows 2000 domain that I want to
> access from a NT4 domain.
>
> I can ping the server, tnsping the instance, but when I try to connect
> to it (after setting the ORACLE_SID env. variable) I get the 'Self
> explanatory' error ;-) 12560 TNS protocol adapter error.
>
> There is NO trust between the domains, but since the tnsping worked, I
> was expecting a successfull connection.
>
> Thanks

Yes, that's one of Oracle's great errors that could mean practically anything, including the listener is up but the db is down.

A tnsping only guarantees that you can communicate with the w2k listener. To make a connection to the db, the listener will open another "random" port over which the client talks to the db (the listener is done with its portion of the workload). I seem to remember people in this NG having a similar problem after they installed McAfee virus scanner, which includes a firewall that blocked the "random" port. Do you have a firewall between the two PCs?

--
[:%s/Karsten Farrell/Oracle DBA/g]