Re: Trigger creation by one user against another user's table

From: Steve Cummings <scummings_at_comshare.com>
Date: 24 Jul 2003 13:08:00 -0700

Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote in message news:<E2F6A70FE45242488C865C3BC1245DA703F30847_at_lnewton.leeds.lfs.co.uk>...
> Morning Steve,
>
> I'm puzzled as to why you would want to do this, however, as far as I'm
> aware, you need to grant the 'create any trigger' priv - which you
> already know about and have reservations about doing, for obvious
> reasons.
>
> The only other way I can suggest you do this is for USER1 to create the
> required triggers for USER2.
>
> You wouldn't be wanting USER2 to create triggers 'on the fly' would you
> ?
>

> Cheers,
> Norm.
>
> -------------------------------------
> Norman Dunbar
> Database/Unix administrator
> Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
> mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
> Tel: 0113 289 6265
> Fax: 0113 289 3146

Norman,

Basically, the answer is yes the triggers are being dynamically created based on user selections of certain information. That said, the frequency of the dynamics is very small in that once it is setup it isn't likely to change but the user does have the option of changing what data is selected at a later time. Which in turn requires the trigger to be modified.

To try and clarify further, we have an Admin role defined which we want members to be able to perform the same actions as the actual schema owner from an application perspective. Until recently, this worked fine because the users in the Admin role only needed to perform DML statements and not change schema content with DDL. But now the application alters tables, drops/creates views and triggers when the user changes certain pieces of configuration information in the application and therefore needs privileges to perform the necessary DDL statements.

I am of the opinion that because the action is done infrequently, that we simply require the user log in as the schema owner and then make their changes.
This doesn't seem to be an unreasonable requirement to me.

Thanks for your input.
Steve Received on Thu Jul 24 2003 - 15:08:00 CDT