Trigger creation by one user against another user's table

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:22:11 +0100

Morning Steve,

>> Basically, the answer is yes the triggers are being dynamically
>> created based on user selections of certain information.
One word, Yeuch ! :o)

>> ... the user does have the option of changing what data is selected
at a later time.
>> Which in turn requires the trigger to be modified.
I'm not sure I follow, if the data the user needs to select is changed, why not just change the 'select' statement ?

>> To try and clarify further, we have an Admin role defined which we
>> want members to be able to perform the same actions as the actual
>> schema owner from an application perspective.
Nothing unusual here.

>> Until recently, this
>> worked fine because the users in the Admin role only needed to
perform
>> DML statements and not change schema content with DDL.
I feel a 'but' coming up .....

>> But now the
>> application alters tables, drops/creates views and triggers when the
>> user changes certain pieces of configuration information in the
>> application and therefore needs privileges to perform the necessary
>> DDL statements.

Ummmm, as I have no idea about your app, it is difficult to have anything constructive to say about this, but surely, once an app has been designed, coded and [optionally] tested, surely any changes to data definition or structures must be change controlled and tested and the application amended to suit ? Sounds like a conversion from 'another' RDBMS maybe ?

>> I am of the opinion that because the action is done infrequently,
that
>> we simply require the user log in as the schema owner and then make
>> their changes.

Myself, again with no idea of your app, I'm of the opinion that any structure changes are only done as part of an upgrade and which should have been tested thoroughly before hand. This sort of dynamic databse reorganisation is [probably] asking for trouble at some point.

>> This doesn't seem to be an unreasonable requirement to me.
I think we agree on the fact that the app should not be changing stuff. [unless as part of a new release/upgrade/bug fix etc].

>> Thanks for your input.

Welcome.

Cheers,
Norm.