Re: tracing the sql that an Oracle process is executing?

From: Wizardo <wwiizzaarrddoo_at_aattttbbii.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 03:26:59 GMT

Holger Marzen <holger_at_marzen.de> wrote in news:beuqst$29m$1 @bluebell.marzen.de:

> Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris 7:
>
> We run an application with many local Oracle connections. 2 long living
> Oracle processes using lots of CPU. The application developers ask for
> help, if I could trace "something".
>
> With db2 there is a trace facility that can attach to a running db and
> write the sql commands that are executed. So I could help a db2
> deveoloper showing him that his application did the same sql again and
> again.
>
> Is there a similar way to attach to a special Oracle process and show
> the sql that this process is executing? That would help them a lot.

As others before me have said, the first thing to do is RTFM. After that, I would ask the developers what they *really* want. Do they just want the SQL, or do they want the SQL and all the trimmings like numbers of rows, parse and execution timings, etc? For just the SQL, use the Oracle 'audit' facility. If you want more info, use the 'trace' facility.

Good Luck,
Mike Received on Wed Jul 23 2003 - 22:26:59 CDT