Re: Upgrade to big SUN box or RAC for data warehouse?

From: Larry <larry07_at_imap.cc>
Date: 23 Jul 2003 00:41:40 -0700

lamimi02_at_aol.com (Lamimi02) wrote in message news:<20030722211020.10372.00000376_at_mb-m05.aol.com>...
> Are you using NFS by any chance? What's the CPU and memory configuration of the
> 10K box? I just don't think it is a good idea to put a data warehouse on NAS
> which is really not known for its performance. If your network bandwidth is
> saturated, it might not do any good to upgrade the SUN box.

I suspect we are using NFS if the storage is in a NAS but I can't be sure. Also to correct some information I provided before - the box is a E4000 server, not a 10K

> To choose between a 12K and RAC for data warehouse, I would pick 12K if your
> emphasis is performance. In general, both software and hardware are more
> expensive for RAC compared to non-RAC. You also have to maintain mulitple
> copies of the software and spend more time for setup. If you take those into
> account, they are not saving you money.

Currently the load process is taking 90 hours(!) using a 6 way 400Mhz processor going out over GBE to the NAS. Simple calculations (and they are simple) suggest that going to a 12K with 6 UltraSparcIII processors at 1.2G might improve that time 3fold? Of course now with two GBE connections to the switching fabric, we might be moving the problem from CPU to being IO bound?

Also there is a fear that CPU usage will increase dramatically which might be solved by adding more CPU's to the 12K but perhaps not solve IO problems. On a RAC maybe we can add more servers?

> If you are considering Linux/Intel, be aware of the 2G SGA size limit on 32-bit
> platforms. Putting a terabyte database on those systems can be a terror.

I was thinking of blade type Solaris machines like V280's Received on Wed Jul 23 2003 - 02:41:40 CDT