Re: linux-oracle-hyper threading

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:06:52 +0300

Hi!

At least Redhat Advanced Server 2.1 sees hyperthreaded processors, that a 4way SMP box is actually seen as 8way.
But I wouldn't recommend using Oracle's parallel featres with 1 CPU machine with hyperthreading, because parallel execution needs quite much coordinating between slaves etc so you can make your processes even slower than with serial execution.

Hyperthreading doesn't make 2 CPUs of one, it just allows us to use CPU strength better with (quite a) few tricks.

Tanel.