Re: linux-oracle-hyper threading

From: dick <dick_at_dick.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:31:56 -0400

Intel's Hyper threading is simply a marketing feature. The only technology involved is adding a second set of registers to a single core. Hence you now have 1 compute engine attempting to execute 2 instructions streams. Both instruction streams share the same cache, memory bus, execute engine leading to increased contention, not increased performance. Hence you get 1/2 the cpu power each. The "context switching" is done at the chip level, not the OS level. hence the OS can not benefit from it. The only way hyperthreading could provide any benefit would be if your OS was crafty enough to allocate a totoally compute bound thread (no memory/disk access) with a non compute bound thread. We have disabled hyperthreading in BIOS and have seen huge performance increases in our compute bound activitites (20 seconds goes down to 15 seconds).