Re: How to connect to Oracle Management Server (OMS)?

From: Anton Buijs <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:11:27 +0200

PGVin <pgvin_at_earthlink.net> schreef in berichtnieuws VxadnQFLh953a42iXTWJjg_at_comcast.com...
| Hi! Everyone:
| I am trying to use "Backup" from Backup Management within Oracle
| Enterprise Manager Console, but everytime it pops up error message that
ask
| me to connect to OMS first. I don't know where to find it and how to
connect
| it. If anyone can give me a clue, I would appreciate it!! Thanks!!
|
| PGVin

This is paste from a post I made on a question on "Oracle SNMP". Should give you the direction.
I'am not sure but if I recall it well, making Backups from the OEM console (uses RMAN on the background) requires an OMS. Is not possible with standalone OEM Console.

Oracle has it's own "SNMP system" if I may call it so. A brief description to give you the direction. It exists of several components

1. the Oracle Intelligent Agent (OIA, dbsnmp processes)
2. the Oracle Management Server (OMS, part of OEM)
3. Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM)
4. The OEM Repository

OEM can be used standalone as a database management tool. This setup does not allow for monitoring databases and getting alarms. For you purpose you must use an OMS.

On each host where you want to monitor its databases you start the OIA. (lsnrctl dbsnmp_start in V8.1.7, agentctl start in V9.2) Then you choose one host for your entire environment where you run the OMS. Setting up the OMS requires the creation of a Repository, just a set of tables where OEM stores all data.
You best give it its own database but you can store it in any database you want (but not the one you want to monitor). The OMS communicates with all the OIA's all the time. Using the OEM Console you communicate with the OMS to discover new hosts, register events for the databases. OEM comes with a set of predefined events with parameters you can set (like: raise warning when a tablespace is over 80% full, raise error when over 90%) but you can add you own defined events. You can also register jobs to run batches at scheduled intervals. OEM can send emails (you can block certain hours, like when databases are down for a cold backup).
OEM can also send alarms to a pager.

Now you know what it basically can and what to look for in the manuals .. I hope.
If you don't have the Documentation CD, you can find them all on http://tahiti.oracle.com Received on Sun Jul 13 2003 - 04:11:27 CDT