Re: Increasing shared pool in v7.3.4 hpux 10.20

From: Anton Buijs <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 00:40:37 +0200

WKT <wtrimble_at_charter.net> schreef in berichtnieuws vgmh5o2idc3v24_at_corp.supernews.com...
| I recently tried to increase our shared pool from 64MB to 80 MB and got an
| error when trying to start the instance. After resetting it back to the
| original size, it started normally. Was there a limit to shared pool size
| in Oracle 7.3.4? I know that this is an old version - we're in the
process
| of upgrading.
|
| The scenario:
|
| Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.4.0.0 - Production
| PL/SQL Release 2.3.4.0.0 - Production
|
| SVRMGR> connect internal
| Connected to an idle instance.
| SVRMGR> startup
| ORA-05902: Message 5902 not found; product=RDBMS; facility=ORA
| Additional information: 4 <<Now reset the shared_pool_size variable >>
| SVRMGR> startup
| ORACLE instance started.
| Total System Global Area 133625440 bytes
| Fixed Size 38984 bytes
| Variable Size 67845656 bytes
| Database Buffers 65536000 bytes
| Redo Buffers 204800 bytes
| Database mounted.
| Database opened.
| SVRMGR>

Can't say for sure but can make a gues.
ORA-5902 seems to be in the range for platform specific errors. The "additional info: 4" points in that direction too. Check your Oracle for HP-UX docs on the installation cd's.
Given the change you made it looks like kernel parameters dealing with shared memory segments need adjustments. Oracle advised values for kernel parameters are in the Installation Guide for HP-UX for Oracle V7.3. Check those.
If there are other database running on the node, try to stop one of those and start this database with the high value for shared_pool_size. If it starts then, I'am almost sure its kernel parameters. Received on Tue Jul 08 2003 - 17:40:37 CDT