Re: VLDB Redo Log Sizing Suggestions

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 21:00:28 +0100

"Brian Peasland" <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:3F09897F.219B0B05_at_remove_spam.peasland.com...
> Personally, I don't feel that archiving every 5 to 8 minutes is
> excessive during high volume periods. Keep in mind that if you increase
> your online redo logs, that during your low volume periods, you may only
> switch every few hours. In other words, taking action to "correct" one
> thing can have an effect on another thing.

I completely agree.

When I was a young green DBA, some 'consultant' suggested that we should multiply the size of our redo logs by 20, as we were switching every minute or so during the daily batch process. The batch process lasted all of two to five minutes, at 5 a.m. (in a 9-to-5 insurance office). The redo log switches outside of that were about once per hour.

Fortunately, even though in those days I wasn't the complete b*****d I am now, I was cynical enough.

Regards,
Paul Received on Mon Jul 07 2003 - 15:00:28 CDT