Re: Why a high INSERT activity requires to set a low PCT_USED ?

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:36:31 GMT

Where did you read that?

PCT_USED determines when a block leaves the freelist, or list of blocks that can accept a new row of data. If PCT_USED is low, then this block leaves the freelist earlier than a table with a higher PCT_USED. If you have a lot of inserts, then one would probably want to reduce the overhead of moving lots of blocks off the freelist. So a high PCT_USED should be warranted. But if there are lots of concurrent transactions performing the inserts, then it is possible that multiple transactions inserting into the same block can cause more overhead in dealing with all of the read consistency that may accompany the operations. So IMO, YMMV. I can see both sides of the coin.

HTH,
Brian

Spendius wrote:

> (that's what I read somewhere)
> Why should a high PCT_USED have a negative impact on
> performances in a table that undergoes lots of INSERTs ??
>
> Thanks.
> Spendius

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com