Re: Why a high INSERT activity requires to set a low PCT_USED ?

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: 2 Jul 2003 16:23:08 GMT

PCT_USED determines when a block goes *ON* the freelist. Not when it comes off. If the actual % used in the block falls below the PCT_USED threshold, it gets added to the freelist. On a table with a lot of deletes and inserts into the same block(s), setting a high pct_used can cause freelist managment overhead. That said, I have not personally seen freelist management cause significant delays. That's doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.

--
Chuck Hamilton

Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in