raw devices, how to?

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 16:40:57 +0200

Hi!
I'm thinkong of using raw devices for our redos (Linux, 9.2.0.3.0). However, I didn't find anything in the docs on how to tell oracle that a certain /dev/something file is a raw device and should be accessed without the file system calls of the OS. How do I do that?
And, by the way, how do I find outthe block size of the disk? Also, if I do partitions on the disks, like even redos on one disk and odd ones on the other, how does the partition overhead compare to the file system overhead when distributing redo files like this?

Lots of Greetings!
Volker
--

While it is a known fact that programmers never make mistakes, it is still a good idea to humor the users by checking for errors at critical points in your program.
-Robert D. Schneider, "Optimizing INFORMIX