Re: Unix to Windows DBA translation

From: James Williams <willjamu_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:49:09 GMT

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 09:00:48 -0400, SilverDBA <silverback_at_photobooks.com> wrote:

There are numerous Metalink documents on the differences. Externally for the developer it is pretty much the same. Oracle does a good job with this.

Its radically different for the Admin type though. There is no Service or ORADIM per see on UNIX.

Windows uses one process ORAEXE.EXE with numerous threads whereas each background process is a seperate process on UNIX.

If you have a lot of K-shell scripts for instance these must be converted unless you get a UNIX shell for Windows which do exists otherwise go Perl.

There is an Oracle Book for Windows that I have seen in Barnes and Noble and have thumbed throught it. Check that out. It looks pretty good.