Re: What's wrong with SQL Server?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:05:53 +0000

JEDIDIAH wrote:

>> > From this link:
>> > In SQL Server, the DBA has no "real" control over sorting and cache
>> > memory allocation.
>> <loads snipped>
>>
>> So friggen what!?

> An RDBMS is not just a souped up version of MSOffice. It's an entire
> development environment. As such, every database can be unique with
> distinct requirements and bottlenecks. The more you can do to customize
> the product to individual sites, the more likely you are to get the best
> performance out of the RDBMS and minimize cost.

Agree. But by the same token _many_ smaller companies can not afford a dedicated DBA. They are *not* using the db as a development environment, but are running shrinkwrap software. With the db being sold as an off-the-shelve product.

> Also, it's naive to expect the RDBMS to be effective at tuning itself.

Agree again. But that does not change the fact that this is exactly what is required in the small to medium business market segment that SQL-Server sells so good in.

> Sometimes you need to be able
> to "throw the manual away" in order to tune effectively.

Bullshit. Exactly the opposite. If most people will just read the friggen manual on HOW the database works, then there will not be these huge performance problems.

Performance problems are not solve by hacking the database with special config parameters and options. It is solved by doing it right from the start.

And that means RTFM.

> If your needs really so trivial, why not just use mysql or postgres?

Get off it. Such little snides only show your ignorance.

Business needs are not "trivial". But in many cases they can *not* be solved using as something as complex and expensive as Oracle (fact or not, this _is_ the market perception). Which is why SQL-Server is doing so good.

Technical superiority means jack shit when a company produces their year-end report.

The right tool for the job. Sometimes its Oracle. Sometimes its not.

What amazes me that some people to who Oracle is The Only Real Database, show the same ignorance and stupidity as what they claim Microsoft and SQL-Server supporters have.

The size of the dick of these databases may be different. Fact is that both groups are sucking it and calling the other a dirty cock sucker.

--
Billy
PS. And no, I have not yet had my 1st cup of morning coffee either.