Re: RMAN sample script for Linux

From: Arcangelo <arcangelo1713_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Jun 2003 23:05:40 -0700

Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:<3EFA1921.41DA811A_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>...
> At least you found some docs to back up your statements. I don't
> necessarily agree with what you have quoted though. And what you have
> quoted, and what you now say are not necessarily the same thing. Your
> latest statement is "unless your backup requirements are complex, we
> SUGGEST you run without a catalog." which is different than your
> original statement of "Oracle is recommending running without a catalog
> database these days". It may be semantics......

I think it is. Suggest - Recommend. Amounts to the same thing. I thought I'd included the reference to 'complex' backup requirements in the first place, but I see now I didn't, and I should have. It was certainly meant to be there.

> As I stated in my first post to this thread "What did 9i introduce that
> does away with the benefits of a Recovery Catalog?" About the closest
> one can come to answering this question is that 9i introduced the
> ability to configure some more defaults like channels. But what about
> storing scripts? I don't agree with your statements with regards to
> stored config params "Therefore they don't need to be specified at
> run-time, and therefore there is no need for long-winded scripts. One of
> the major reasons for having a catalog was to permit the storage of
> scripts. If scripts are no longer needed, you don't need a catalog."
> This assumes that the whole reason for storing scripts was due to the
> configuration parameters like channels. There are other reasons to store
> scripts. It also assumes that the only benefit of the Recovery Catalog
> was stored scripts.

No.. it assumes that there are rather few other benefits!

> So I ask again, what did 9i introduce that does away with the benefits
> of a Recovery Catalog? How can you restore to a previous incarnation of
> the database without a Recovery Catalog? What mechanism addresses this
> issue? Even according to the Oracle docs, "Without a catalog, you must
> first restore a control file
> backup that lists the correct set of database files." Granted this is
> not that difficult, but it does add one more step to restoring before
> recovery. A Recovery Catalog can simplify this process. How do you list
> the database schema from a previous point in time? The Recovery Catalog
> can tell you this. Without a Recovery Catalog, one needs to make sure
> that the CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME paramater is much greater than
> the default of 7 days in order to make sure that the control file can
> keep a history long enough.

I will happily agree that if the only store for RMAN metadata is the controlfile, there is a premium on configuring the controlfile correctly. If you were about to put all your eggs in that particular basket, I would certainly hope you'd thought about the CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME. But I won't sign up to the idea that setting a database back to a previous incarnation is a compelling argument for a catalog. How many times do you actually do that a year??! Is it utterly impossible to do without a catalog? No. So on those rare occasions when you need to do something like that, a bit of extra hassle is probably worth it, if in the mean time it's saved you another database, another set of backup and recovery concerns, another splurge of disk space and memory requirements and so on. I would have thought.

To answer your specific question ('what did 9i introduce'), the controlfile autobackup, which embeds a controlfile backup in each backup piece is specifically designed to address the problem of needing to supply old controlfiles for these sorts of scenarios.

> There are valid reasons to use a Recovery Catalog.

I never meant to suggest there weren't (but as I also mentioned above, the qualification of 'unless your requirements are complex' was in my head but not typed, so I accept I may have given that impression).

>And, there are valid
> reasons to not use a Recovery Catalog. And that's my whole point. One
> needs to weigh the pros and cons of Recovery Catalogs when deciding to
> use RMAN. Just like one needs to weigh the pros and cons of even using
> RMAN itself, catalog or no catalog!

Goes without saying. Oracle recommends all sorts of things I wouldn't want to see near any of my databases. But everything depends, of course.

But the 'suggestion' is still there in print. Which is all I meant to imply.

So we agree and can put the matter to rest.

;-)