Media recovery when using an old controlfile

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:57:41 +0100

Morning Jurjen,

I've never had to do one, and as far as I can remember, I've never even tried one, but assuming you are running in archivelog mode, then attempting a recovery with an OLDER version of the control file is going to leave you somewhat bolloxed !

The controlfile(s) should never be restored if you wish to recover database because the current controlfile has the SCN number that is the current one. The old control file will have the old one. I've no idea whether Oracle will let you actually do this (and to be totally honest, I've got no time to try it out !)

On the other hand, maybe I missed the point of your question !

Cheers,
Norman. Received on Wed Jun 25 2003 - 03:57:41 CDT