Self testing - yeah right !

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:06:34 +0100

Morning Brian,

You wrote :

>> [soapbox]
>> I see questions like this a lot where it is quite easy for a person
>> test themselves and figure out the answers. It's very easy for you to
>> do. So please do it!

<SNIP>

No disrespect to Peter who is trying to learn - I hope - but, having been a Developer and a Techie for the last 18 odd years and having worked in Local Government and commercial 'institutions', I have to say you are on a losing wicket there !

I have *never* met as many people who don't want to try anything out for themselves. If I had a £1.00 for every telephone call or email which started of 'do you know if I can do ......' then I'd be very very very rich inded.

I gave up answering 'have you tried to do ..... ?' as the answer was always 'No, I though you would know.'.

Example for Senior Analyst trying to edit a file on an ICL VME mainframe :

Her: "What does Error 50144 Required object does not exist mean" ? Me: "What were you trying to do ?"
Her: "Edit a file"
Me: "Did it work ?"
Her: "No I got that error message"
Me: "What do you think it means ?"
Her: "I thought you would know"

And so on. Still the same today - get some other poor mug to do your thinking for you.

I eventually started asnwering all questions with 'Yes, you can do that'. Seems to have worked fine !

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator