Re: Creator of a role gets what rights?

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:39:28 GMT

But a role is neither a system or object privilege. It is a role. Whether you can grant that role is determined by whether or not you are the creator or have been given the GRANT ANY ROLE system privilege. And you can't grant a role with the ADMIN or GRANT option, so to speak.

HTH,
Brian

Hans Forbrich wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>
> > Does the creator of a ROLE get
> > "with admin option" privilege or the "with grant option" priviilege?
>
> Peter,
>
> When looking for explanations of syntax, I recommend you start in the
> SQL Reference manual.
>
> In this case, the GRANT command is relevant. Details are available in
> http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/release2/server.920/a96540/statements_912a.htm#2062195
>
> According to that, should your user need to pass on the capability being
> granted:
> - IF this command is a SYSTEM privilege, then you use the WITH ADMIN
> OPTION but
> - IF this is an OBJECT privilege, then you use the WITH GRANT OPTION
>
> If you can not determine whether the capability is an object or a system
> priivilege, then (according to the document) you can look at table 17-1
> on the same section.
>
> To the observant, an easy way to determine whether this is a SYSTEM or
> and OBJECT privilege is to look for the keyword "ON" followed by an
> object identifier - if that exists it is because you are granting the
> capability on an OBJECT to a user.

> /Hans

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com