Re: RAID 1 & Oracle problems?

From: Dave Hau <davehau_nospam_123_at_nospam_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:09:57 GMT

One potential problem with using Oracle on RAID-1 is dirty region logs.   Because each logical write now involves a physical write to each mirror, in case of a power outage, you could potentially be left in an invalid state where some mirrors have been updated and others haven't. Then when power comes back, and Oracle performs recovery, Oracle might happen to read from a mirror that has not been updated, and conclude that no redo needs to be applied when it should. This can cause read errors later on. The solution is to turn on dirty region logging in the volume manager.

Cheers,
Dave