Re: Where can I get a complete list of all SQL Hints?

From: Telemachus <telemachus_at_ulysseswillreturn.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:27:01 +0100

There is nothing wrong with research; a little work by the poster would have taken him to a useful thread on this NG entitled 'Hash Join Order' which kicked off 27/3/03 which discussed these things at the end and was contributed to by several luminaries (connor and jonathan for two ) .

My own research shows there is little on the web and less on metalink devoted to explaining undocumented hints.

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:3EEBD238.33BD04FE_at_telusplanet.net...
> Ryan wrote:
>
> > i have found the oracle documentation to be very good. However, I have
also
> > found that some of the best information has been written by people who
do
> > NOT work for oracle.
>
> While I have observed the same, I have also found an awful lot of
unmitigated
> garbage written about Oracle by people who do not work for Oracle. It's a
> 'buyer beware' situation.
>
> Bluntly, I'd hesitate sourcing any information not sanctioned by the Oak
Table,
> unless it was co-written by some names I met personally & trust (like
Stackowiak
> and Muensch.)
>
> Asking the question in view of all the lurkers (many are likely newbies)
without
> raising the qualifications - that I believe YOU really do know and
understand -
> can run these same lurkers into a rathole. That causes me some concern.
> (Although I do understand your enthusiasm and your test-at-home
environment as
> it reminds me of myself in the 6.0 - 7.2 days).
>
> Aside from that, I feel your question is actually quite impractical. Any
kernel
> level patch could add or remove undocumented hints without warning.
Therefore a