Re: Creating an Oracle Reporting Server

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:02:55 GMT

"Joseph C. Henning" wrote:

> I have a question on the number of ways you can replicate a production
> database to a reporting server (data warehouse). Can this be done by
> hot backups? Can this be done on a transaction basis? Just looking
> for different ideas on how to do this task. Any help would be great.

There are literally dozens of ways to do this. Some of the questions I'd ask even before starting down the possible solutions path:

  1. How concurrent do you need the reporting data? - eg: how often do you need a refresh? hours/days/weeks ...
  2. What kinds of questions will be answered in the reports? - eg: do you need transformation/rollup/summary?
  3. How big is the budget? or What is the maximum budget that will be supported? - this will eliminate many variants very quickly!
  4. User specs: - You need it when? - You need the queries how fast? - Are we in this together?