Re: Plagiarism

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 17 Jun 2003 15:48:43 -0700

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:<3eef3b89$1$9355$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com> wrote in message
>

> > Nuno, but how else do you get Oracle to recognize that the SQL is
> > identical and get code sharing unless you cut and paste? 8-D
>
> :D
> Does that cover PL/SQL as well?
>

> > I think that it all depends on the circumstances of the code use.
>

> Well, it can't be more circumstantial
> than a PL/SQL procedure where even the comments
> are mine...

I think what Mark meant (at least what I thought when I read the OP) is it depends whether it was something you could call your own and someone stole it or whether it was left at a place you worked where the company owned it, but you were offended because someone else implied or stated they wrote it.

Personally, I think any code hanging around any place I work is fair game unless explicitly stated otherwise, but I also believe in credit where it is due and find stealing credit offensive. I've gotten a fair amount of work simply because of saying "Well, such-and-such did it this way, I won't steal it but I can improve on the ideas behind it for you." In the commercial arena people can be quite sensitive to such issues. In gummint, insensitivity rules.

And boilerplate "Everything you think we own" is worth as much as any adhesion contract. Namely, as much lawyering as you can afford. Or afford to avoid.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Why think out of the box when you can think of n-dimensional boxes?