Re: wiping out an oracle installation (8i)

From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: 17 Jun 2003 15:56:30 GMT

Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote:
> Christoph Kukulies wrote:

>> Anyway, to make a long story short: What is the safest and quickest way
>> to wipe out an Oracle installation to such an extent that a new server
>> installation from CD is possible.

> By un-installing it.

> But a TNSNAMES and LISTENER config files errors are peanuts. Or should that
> be bananas? Never could remember...

> Anyway, those files have _nothing_ to do with a successful/unsuccessful
> Oracle installation.

> It's like saying that Windows (pick your flavour) did not install properly
> 'cause the desktop bitmap is not what you expect it to be.

> Simply edit and fix the TNSNAMES and LISTENER ora files to be applicable and
> correct for that platform.

Nah, your windows example is slightly oversimplified. I give you two empty files, one named TNSNAMES.ORA, the other LISTENER.ORA and you know what to write into them? Does a local connection (loopback) or what that is, belong into it for example? And the syntax? Lisp lists, sure.

I tried to adopt to the local configuration but I failed. Got this no listener error. Although the instance services were running.

Well, the discussion is only academic now since I managed to removed so many traces of Oracle as necessary from the registry and file system this afternoon that a reinstallation from CD worked finally.