Obtaining a ref cursor from a table object

From: Teppicamon <quicog_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:34:04 +0200

Hi everybody

I'm relatively new to PL/SQL, and now I face a problem that I don't know even how to start solving... We're using interMedia Text on an Oracle 8.1.7 server and we want to use some procedures in the CTX_THES package to let users browse the Thesaurus from a web application. For example, we use the bt() function to get the broader terms of a word like this (that's the sample in Oracle docs):

declare

    xtab ctx_thes.exp_tab;
begin

    ctx_thes.bt(xtab, 'wolf', 2, 'my_thes');     for i in 1..xtab.count loop

        dbms_output.put_line(xtab(i).phrase);     end loop;
end;

And OK, that works fine, but we would want to get a ref cursor to that xtab table to be able to return it and use it as a ResultSet in a J2EE web application. Maybe I just don't know how to open a cursor from a table object (if I try a select from that table, Oracle raises an error saying it has to be declared (?)), or maybe it isn't possible at all, but if that's the case I would just want to know it to avoid wasting more time...

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

--
Francesc X. Gil
SPOC, SL