Re: Oracle 11.5.8 / 8i on Suse 8.2 Pro - Import

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:39:35 +0300

Hi!

It should work, I have Apps 11.5.7 with 8.1.7 in my home redhat linux 8 box. But it's not certified/supported, if you want suse, go with SLES7 (better check from metalink certify section).

Btw, are you aware that you have to upgrade from 11.5.3 to 11.5.8, install (huge amount of) various patches, prerequisite patches, interoperability patches?

Also, if you have any custom made scripts and similar stuff, you have to convert them as well (from cmd to shell, directory naming etc.)

Btw, I've only done platform changes when upgrading between major versions (10.7->11.5), this requires AutoUpgrade to be run, but when upgrading from 11.5.3 to 11.5.8, you should only apply patches in theory, but if you have applied patches to your 11.5.3, which aren't included in 11.5.8 maintenance pack for some reason, you could get inconsistencies between DB and file system.

I recommend to go with supported Linux version (SLES 7 or RHAS2.1) , do your upgrade - then test very thoroughly, like after fresh implementation, that everything works as expected.

Also, there are issues with exporting importing 11i db to another db, seach metalink for "export import 11i", there is an useful note there.

Tanel.