Re: Replication from 7.3: Master site will upgrade to 8i tomorrow

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:12:24 +0100

"Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote in message news:3eeb8266_1_at_mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com...
> "Anurag Varma" <avarmadba.skipthis_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Re: complete refreshes working after the upgrade --
> > I don't see a reason why not.
> > Although .. why don't you rebuild them with PK .. right after the
upgrade?
> > Why would you want to go with
> > complete refreshes for even a week? That does not make *any* sense.
> >
> > Also, make sure that once you rebuild your snapshots, that it does show
up
> > in the master sites
> > user_registered_snapshots view (I might have got that name slightly
wrong)
> > I've been bitten couple of times when snapshots get unregistered and
even
> > complete refreshes
> > fail to register them.
> >
> > BTW: The only case we have of different versions being in
master/snapshot
> > ... is 9.2.0.3 master
> > with 8.1.7.4 snapshot (nested). Not that it is anywhere close to your
> setup.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Anurag
>
> Anurag,
>
> Thanks for the input. We *think* that complete refreshes should be OK;
we'll
> find out for sure tomorrow.
> Yes; we will build PK snapshots a.s.a.p. The problem is that the
> notification from the master site (over which we have no control) was very
> late. This is a production environment; we just need a day or two to make
> sure that the 'drop and recreate' scripts are bullet-proof, before we do
it
> in anger. So I hope it makes *some* sense to delay.
>
> Regards,
> Paul

All,

I promised to report back; so here it is: We can report that the complete refreshes are fine (as expected; we just wanted to be 100% sure). A bit of extra redo log to be archived, but the necessary arrangements have been made (thanks, Garry).

We will drop and recreate the snapshots as refresh fast with PK at the weekend.

There are production 'snapshots of snapshots of snapshots' involved here; as well as replication to SQLServer. We just needed to be cautious.

Regards,
Paul Received on Mon Jun 16 2003 - 15:12:24 CDT