Re: ANALYZE ISSUES IN 9i?

From: koert54 <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 14:51:08 GMT

That's right - they are just guesses ... I used them on all our OLTP databases - and performance
improved on all of them ...
When we went from RBO to CBO I got complaints that things were slow - ok - I saw that about
20% of all queries got crappy execution plans. Now I can start tuning here and there, adding hints,
stored outlines, rewrite stuff ... but basically if the RBO gives a more performant execution than CBO
then ... hey CBO is not doing a great job. With these parameters set, those 20% of queries gave me no trouble anymore. Now - I'm not saying you should do this in warehouse environments (heck you will not
like this either - but there's an event you can set that makes the optimizer choose for
hash join every time ... no need to tell i've set this on our warehouse ...oh we have no
indexes in it :-) )
Anyways - I think it's unrealistic to leave optimizer_index_caching=0 for OLTP.
I know Jonathan Lewis wrote a paper on it ... or has a presentation on it ...maybe he will share
his findings with us because those parameters are sure handy.But I think these values 90&10 are quite save on OLTP. Unlike a posting a saw
<QUOTE>
If all else fails, try init.ora
optimizer_index_cost_adj = 1
optimizer_index_caching = 100