Re: Autoextend switch

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 Jun 2003 09:52:29 -0700

"Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<3ee97d56$0$11381$cc9e4d1f_at_news.dial.pipex.com>...

> 1. If something starts growing like topsy for some daft reason how are you
> going to know?
> 2. What happens if you fill the disk?

I agree with general cautions that you pointed out against autoextend, however, you can limit autoextend by maxsize switch. If the process is not monitored, ofcourse it can lead to undesired results. In that case, runaway datafile can be equally blamed as DBA's laziness to monitor it. It would be similar to the situation if datafile is not autoextended and tablespace runs out of space because DBA did not monitor and add extra space in timely manner.

> 3. There are various bugs relating to datafile resizing on various platforms
> that can seriously harm your database.

I am not aware of this. Could you perhaps provide an example or a bug id that I can look up at metalink.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Fri Jun 13 2003 - 11:52:29 CDT