Re: Can Someone Point Me At Some Whitepapers Comparing Oracle to M$$QL$erver??

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Jun 2003 16:43:19 -0700

pharfromhome_at_hotmail.com (Geomancer) wrote in message news:<cf90fb89.0306061035.5c93ffed_at_posting.google.com>...

> > Thanks. I'm afraid that management is already set in their mind to do this.
> >

> SAP OSS website has many has notes that warn about the pitfalls of
> using SAP on SQL-Server.
>
> I would check there first.
>
> Databases aside, here is a link on migrating from Windows to UNIX:
>
> http://www.unm.edu/~hamjavar/item/50/
>
> The other way around us suicide, IMHO.
>
> If management is already "set in their mind", I'd run screaming and
> find another job. Having stupid management is a nightmare.

I'd wait around and get "experience" on the crap, if all goes as expected the company will keep running on Oracle for a long time while the MS project fails. The you can get big consulting $$$ helping out all the other companies that make the same mistake and have to be hauled out of dank holes. Or if you stick around and outlast the con-sultants, you may wind up in charge (think about how many people you know that have used such a "bubble-up" method). Just be real careful to set up a teflon coating so the crap doesn't stick to you.

And if by some miracle the project succeeds, you might profit by that, too. Management just doesn't care about the technical issues, so their definition of success may differ from ours.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
One geeks nightmare is anothers opportunity!