Re: Arcserve restore of Oracle database

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Jun 2003 16:35:23 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<7ci1ev0if924t8bfpt0vl085klh5uadcoh_at_4ax.com>...
> On 6 Jun 2003 04:04:47 -0700, loadofcr_ap_at_yahoo.com (gOD) wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >Our company made the mistake of using Arcserve for Oracle backups and
> >now I am paying the price.
> >
> >I have built a new (W2K) server, installed Oracle, installed Arcserve
> >(and db agent) and am trying to do a restore. When I do a restore, it
> >asks for a password and user ID. I have tried the local admin account,
> >tried a domain admin account, tried INTERNAL, tried SYS, and SYSTEM.
> >None work. It always returns an E8601 error saying "Invalid username
> >or password".
> >
> >Has anyone managed to get this to work?
> >
> >Cheers
>
> I agree with your sentiments about Arcserve. I have never seen a
> product with such lousy documentation and with such misleading errors.
> I have been working on configuring the backup for more than a week,
> and YES: I did read all the manuals, I did investigate the complete
> and LOUSY Computer Associates Support sites, I noticed they rename
> their crap with every new release, I noticed I still don't get RMAN
> support working.
> Frankly it has been quite a frustrating experience. I managed to get
> the Oracle 7 Agent working after reading the *German* manual, which is
> floating around somewhere on the CA site in pdf format.
>
> My restore should be conducted next week.
>
> A few things to note:
> - The account you are using MUST have SYSDBA privilege.
> - you seem to MUST use sqlnet.authentication_services=(nts) in
> sqlnet.ora
> - there is a debug parameter in the registry under the dbaora7@<SID>
> key. Change that in 1, and you will get an useful tracefile in the
> home directory of the Oracle Agent.
> - The LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST parameter is ignored, to whatever you set it.
> You MUST use log_archive_dest_1 or _2 or _3 or _4 or _5
> - No error at all is shown. Chances are your backup is succesful, and
> you won't even notice you didn't backup the database unless you read
> the logs.
>
> As we are fellow victims in the same situation I would be happy to
> work together to get this piece of shit operational.
> Oh yes: Somehow some SYSADMIN decided the Arcserve copy on the
> database has to backup the rest of the network. The Arcserve database
> is now 2.95 G and the C drive some 8G. The said SYSADMIN doesn't
> understand why you can't use a database server as a network backup
> server.
>
> Life sometimes really sucks.
>
> Regards
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

> The said SYSADMIN doesn't
> understand why you can't use a database server as a network backup
> server.

Sybrand,

If you remove that server from the domain, it won't be able to backup any other server on the network, yet it will still authenticate oracle users via passwords in the database just fine.

just say no to NetBIOS.
Do you really *need* to have your oracle servers participating in a domain?

Pd Received on Fri Jun 06 2003 - 18:35:23 CDT