Re: Oracle hangs while shutdown immediate

From: Tim Kearsley <tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk>
Date: 5 Jun 2003 02:32:19 -0700

Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:<bbmlha$2qe$1_at_ctb-nnrp2.saix.net>...
> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
> > Likely no bug here. Do you understand what shutdown immediate does? I
> > suspect not and suggest you research it at http://tahiti.oracle.com.
> >
> > It is likely not hanging. It is most likely doing precisely what it is
> > intended to do.
>
> Beg to differ. I think there's a bug of sorts in shutdown immediate (8.1.7.4
> on HP-UX in my case).
>
> We do a full physical backup weekly of one of the smaller prod databases.
> The backup calls a shutdown immediate script and then does the physical
> backup (and afterwards calls the startup script).
>
> On a few occassions, the database was still in the process of an immediate
> shutdown _24_ hours later. It had become a bit of an issue (as it happened
> more than just once or twice), thus I changed the shutdown to a shutdown
> abort, startup, and then shutdown immediate. This works fine (I could have
> done a shutdown abort and left it like that too - but I wanted to see what
> the overall shutdown time would be when I emulate a shutdown immediate).
> Since this change - no problem. The shutdown script takes maybe 10 minutes
> max to do shutdown the database.
>
> Point is that one should not be too quick in discarding a posting about a
> shutdown immediate hanging. That does happen IMO.

I can confirm the behaviour that Billy has observed on Oracle 8.1.7.2 on AIX 4.3.3 on RS/6000 SP node hardware too. In my case I responded to the problem in exactly the same way that Billy did, by altering the SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE to a SHUTDOWN ABORT, STARTUP, SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE. Since then, no problem. The hanging on SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE that we observed was not infrequent, so it IS a real issue.

Regards,

Tim Kearsley
Database Manager
Milton Keynes Council Received on Thu Jun 05 2003 - 04:32:19 CDT