Re: Oracle hangs while shutdown immediate

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 07:45:31 +0000

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Likely no bug here. Do you understand what shutdown immediate does? I
> suspect not and suggest you research it at http://tahiti.oracle.com.
>
> It is likely not hanging. It is most likely doing precisely what it is
> intended to do.

Beg to differ. I think there's a bug of sorts in shutdown immediate (8.1.7.4 on HP-UX in my case).

We do a full physical backup weekly of one of the smaller prod databases. The backup calls a shutdown immediate script and then does the physical backup (and afterwards calls the startup script).

On a few occassions, the database was still in the process of an immediate shutdown _24_ hours later. It had become a bit of an issue (as it happened more than just once or twice), thus I changed the shutdown to a shutdown abort, startup, and then shutdown immediate. This works fine (I could have done a shutdown abort and left it like that too - but I wanted to see what the overall shutdown time would be when I emulate a shutdown immediate). Since this change - no problem. The shutdown script takes maybe 10 minutes max to do shutdown the database.

Point is that one should not be too quick in discarding a posting about a shutdown immediate hanging. That does happen IMO.

--
Billy