Re: Oracle9i and AIX 5 compatibility question

From: Wolfram Roesler <wr_at_grp.de>
Date: 4 Jun 2003 07:26:40 GMT

devnull_at_ronr.nl (Ronald Rood) wrote in

> I am not sure if it helps you but I had to add /usr/lib to $LIBPATH to
> get some code to run. This surprised me a bit as I expected them to be
> default locations; it were the same symbols that were missing as in
> your case.

Thanks for the hint; it didn't help me get the AIX 5 compiled program to run on AIX 4, however. The error message I get is:

  Could not load program ./dbmenu:
  Symbol resolution failed for libclntsh.a(shr.o) because:

	  Symbol thread_post (number 35) is not exported from dependent
		module /usr/lib/libc.a(shr.o).
	  Symbol thread_post_many (number 36) is not exported from dependent
		module /usr/lib/libc.a(shr.o).
	  Symbol thread_wait (number 37) is not exported from dependent
		module /usr/lib/libc.a(shr.o).

  Examine .loader section symbols with the 'dump -Tv' command.

This means, I suppose, that it does find its libs, but the required symbols aren't there. This happens whether or not /usr/lib is in LIBPATH. According to Metalink, by the way, an application compiled with Oracle 9 won't run on an Oracle 8 machine. This answers two of the configurations from my original posting. The remaining question is how - if at all - an AIX 5/Oracle9 compiled application can run on an AIX 4 machine with Oracle9.

Thanks for your help
W. Roesler Received on Wed Jun 04 2003 - 02:26:40 CDT