Re: Storage: SAN, NAS, or Local

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 14:29:09 GMT

Whether or not to use a SAN all depends on your requirements. Do you need to share the disk units among multiple servers (like using RAC)? Do you need to manage very large amounts of disk (terabytes)? If so, then a SAN can help you immensely. If you don't have such a large database and don't need to share the files, then why not stick with direct attached disk?

HTH,
Brian

Burton Peltier wrote:

> That article did clear up a couple of things for me.
>
> But, I would really like to know if this is one of those things (like RAC
> appears to me) that not really a lot of people are using, at least not yet
> anyway.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
>
> "Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Burton Peltier wrote:
> > >
> > > We have always used local disks (JBOD and now RAID mostly).
> > >
> > > Some people want to move to SAN for Oracle files?
> > >
> > > Anyone have any comments on experience with performance, reliability, or
> > > problems when using a SAN for Oracle files , good or bad?
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > go to www.oaktable.net, James Morle has a good article there on 'Sane
> > SAN'
> >
> > hth
> > connor
> > --
> > Connor McDonald
> > http://www.oracledba.co.uk
> >
> > "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com

 the three"