Re: Where is the trcroute utility?

From: Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 05:28:10 GMT

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 05:20:41 GMT, Reed Snellenberger <rsnellenberger_at_houston.rr.com> wrote:

We all know Windows has its own tracert. But we looking for the version that Oracle supplies.

It is documented in the manual.

Here is the link, make sure you include the whole link since part of it wraps to the next line, depending on your reader.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/network.920/a96580/connect.htm#427493

Oracle9i Net Services Administrator's Guide Release 2 (9.2)
Part Number A96580-02

16
Establishing a Connection and Testing the Network

TRCROUTE Utility
The Trace Route Utility (TRCROUTE) enables administrators to discover the path or route a connection is taking from a client to a server. If TRCROUTE encounters a problem, it returns an error stack to the client instead of a single error. These additional error messages make troubleshooting easier.

TRCROUTE is different from TNSPING in that it travels as a special type of connect packet, and is routed as such. As it travels toward its destination, the TRCROUTE connect packet collects the TNS addresses of every node it travels through. If an error occurs, TRCROUTE collects error information that shows where the error occurred. The TRCROUTE displays the information collected on the client screen. You can redirect the TRCROUTE output to a file, and print it if you wish.

The TRCROUTE uses minimal resources. It gathers information in the connect data of a special connect packet; standard connect packets are not affected.

The server is not affected by TRCROUTE. The listener receives and processes the TRCROUTE connect packet. It returns the information to the client by putting it into a refuse packet. The server does not need to start up any new processes or deal with dummy connections.

Using TRCROUTE
To invoke TRCROUTE, enter the following from the command line:

trcroute net_service_name