Re: Q: Moving data to partition tables

From: Jusung Yang <JusungYang_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Jun 2003 09:12:04 -0700

Kalle <kminerva_at_jippii.fi> wrote in message news:<3EDB17BD.52AB6E5_at_jippii.fi>...
> Hi all,
>
> do you know how to speed the data load from "ordinary" tables to the
> partitioned tables. I have a huge amount of data and it seems to be very
> slow.
>
> What might be the quickest way to do this kind of change...
>
> Kalle

Is this for the initial creation of the partitioned table? If yes, learn how to change a non-partitioned table into a partitioned table and partitioned table into a non-partitioned table.

If you are simply adding data to the partitioned table which already has data, then consider these: 1. If all the new data can be assigned to a single new partition, create a new partition and exchange it with the table will be the quickest. Learn the restirctions on exchanging partitions with table. 2. Will the data be simply inserted into the partitioned table? If yes, use direct insert. 3. If there is update involved in addition to insert, consider the "merge" operation.