Question Regarding MTS Server Behavior

From: Phil Singer <psinger1_at_chartermi.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 06:26:35 -0400

I know little about the MTS, having used nothing but dedicated server connections all my life. And my question revolves around this:

We are using a 8.1.7. dedicated server configuration, with ADO managing connection pools. At unpredictable moments, the latency in out TCP network increases to where connections start timing out. When this happens, ADO thinks the sever has dropped it, and never uses that connection again, while Oracle waits for DCD to happen before removing the connection from its table. This leaves the session orphaned. Too many of these, and the account exceeds its session quota.

My question is, how would the above play out using MTS? I know that there would still be those unpredicatable timeouts, but would Oracle know that this has happened, and clean them up as they happen, or would I still see a bunch of orphaned connections when I query the V$SESSION table?

Phil Singer                |    psinger1ATchartermiDOTnet
Oracle DBA
Remove the Obvious to reply Received on Mon Jun 02 2003 - 05:26:35 CDT