Re: What kind of a DBA are you?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 10:15:43 -0700

Franklin wrote:

> I thought this was an interesting take on DBAs:
>
> http://www.dbazine.com/burleson13.shtml
>
> Based on this article, I would categorize some DBAs as follows:
>
> Scientist DBA - Tom Kyte, Jonathan Lewis, Steve Adams, Noons,
> Sybrand Bakker
>
> Gung Ho DBA - Rich Neimeic, Mike Ault, Don Burleson, Cary Millsap,
> Daniel Morgan, Norman Dunbar
>
> Empathetic DBA - Kevin Loney, Jonathan Gennick, Jeremiah Wilton, Richard
> Foote, Naill Litchfield
>
> Pathetic DBA - Hmmm, best keep this to myself
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> --

My office is imaculate otherwise I'll go along with it. Why not as it is rather flattering and egos need polishing from time-to-time.

What unfortunately is missing from Burleson's piece are a few other DBA categories:

  1. The paranoid DBA Is afraid to grant select on v_$ and dba_ views to developers in the development instance for fear they might use that privilege to take over the world. Someone once asked them to install plan_table and they reported it to HR as abusive behavior.
  2. The apathetic DBA Learned enough of Oracle 7 to do backup and recovery (well hopefully recovery as they've never actually had to do it) and hasn't a clue what LMT, UNDO, CBO, or just about anything else new is. This DBA will use Oracle 9.2 until heck freezes over because they can still set compatible to 7.3.4.
  3. The insecure DBA Is afraid to engage in continuing education or ask questions about things they clearly don't understand for fear that someone might think there are things they don't know. Usually uses a GUI tool to do simple activities and hides the data dictionary from everyone out of fear they will realize the entire database has been set up incorrectly.
--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu