Re: Why shouldn't I run an Oracle database on a PDC?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 08:05:49 +1000

"Sean Brandt" <seanb_at_lonelyplanet.com> wrote in message news:110b6d4f.0305300732.13db112c_at_posting.google.com...

> I haven't yet had the oportunity to work with any Oracle products so
> I'd like to find out the answer to the quesion of why I shouldn't run
> an Oracle database on a server that is acting as the PDC of a Windows
> NT domain.

Exactly and precisely for the same reason that Microsoft STRONGLY recommends against running ANY database software including their own SQL Server on a PDC.

The specs of the box are immaterial.

> My boss has requested I make this new server the PDC of our domain, in
> addition to running DNS,DHCP and WINS.

Tell your boss that is against Microsoft recommendations. It's obvious he doesn't care if it is an Oracle recommendation.

> So, considering the activities of this server as related to the NT
> domain and networking services, the specs of the server and the size
> and activity of the Oracle DB would it be ok to have all of these on
> the same server?

No.

--
Cheers