Re: How do you grant connection permission to a user?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 05:59:10 +1000

Like Daniel, I'm frankly a bit shocked at some of the answers you got to this rather simple question.

Grant connect is a big, big, big, big, big, big no-no. Don't do it, ever.

Never.

[Have I made myself clear yet??!]

Simply, grant create session to fred; and that's it. You then add on other privileges as required -and potentially, you'll gather all those privileges together in a role of your own devising.

As it is, 'CONNECT' is a role that is strictly there for backwards compatibility only -which means, it's a hang-over from Oracle 7 days, and one day will be gotten rid of from the database altogether. And that will be a good thing, too. As Daniel says, you should pre-empt Oracle on this one, and drop the thing yourself, unless you are saddled with a decrepit application that still needs it (but you really ought to get a newer application instead!).

I can sort-of understand people still believing that indexes should be separated from tables for performance reasons. I can't believe or understand why anyone should be making totally dreadful recommendations like 'grant connect'.

Shudder.

Regards