Re: Highest Suse Linux Version for 9iR2

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 02:26:57 GMT

Buck Turgidson wrote:

> I have Suse 7.2 and 9iR2. 7.2 is showing it's age, and I want to
> upgrade to Suse 8. Any problems with that? I have heard of a lot of
> problems with RH9, and I prefer Suse, and hope to stick with it.
>
> Thanks for any advice.

I like the way you think (for the Linux environment, I've switched to SuSE exclusively <g>)

Strongly advise you look at SuSE's related documentation. From page http://www.suse.de/us/business/certifications/certified_software/oracle/ go to the Support Matrix where you will find a table of the Oracle products x SuSE versions. Clicking on a checked item will get you related documentation. I also suggest getting the SLES8 documentation regardless of your target - lots of useful hints.

As discussed in this this forum several times, there are gotchas all over the place. Recommend Googling the newsgroup archive. The biggest seems to be (especially for SuSE 8.2) - do NOT load up anything Java-related from the distro before attempting to install Oracle. After install, it seems to be OK, before & you are in for a lot of discussions.

There is a SuSE group dedicated to SuSE & Oracle which also has excellent archives. Received on Sat May 24 2003 - 21:26:57 CDT