Re: Highest Suse Linux Version for 9iR2

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 02:56:59 GMT

On Sun, 25 May 2003 01:12:56 +0000, Buck Turgidson wrote:

> I have Suse 7.2 and 9iR2. 7.2 is showing it's age, and I want to
> upgrade to Suse 8. Any problems with that? I have heard of a lot of
> problems with RH9, and I prefer Suse, and hope to stick with it.
>
> Thanks for any advice.

I used to use SuSE (last version SuSE 8.0) but there were several things that made me to strongly dislike SuSE.
a) Their kernel was reporting nonstandard kernel version string and

   some applications did not know what to do with it. In particular, my    OSS drivers refused to be installed. When I asked for help, I was told    to use ALSA. I didn't like that in the least. b) Their kernel has had some strange dependencies and it was very hard to

   link it properly. When I contacted the help desk, I was told that    kernel relink is a "gurus only procedure". Again, I wasn't very happy    with that, either.
c) Newer software was hard to come by and some dependices were just

   preventing any sensible updates. One of those was nautilus dependency    on Mozilla. When I wanted to install 1.3, I was told that my Nautilus,    which means the whole darned GNOME GUI, depends on Mozilla 1.0.    By now I was a very unhappy camper.
d) SuSE used to have directory with all updates in a single directory. For

   some strange reason some idiot decided that having something something    like that was too practical to be tolerated, so they removed it.    Updated versions of the software were even harder to come by. That was    the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. I'm back with RH.

Oh, yes, SuSE used to work well with oracle. So does RH8.0 (my current version) and with infinitely less trouble and excitement.

--
Mladen Gogala
Software is like sex, it is better when it is free.