Re: URGENT Can you convert SQL Stored Proceedures to Oracle?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 17:57:29 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Fri, 23 May 2003 21:50:23 +0200, "Richard P"
> <rpooran.news.invalid_at_web2news.net> wrote:
>
> >Is there a tool or method of doing this conversion quicker than writing
> >from scratch.
>
> Migration Workbench downloadable at http://otn.oracle.com
>
> You are however advised NOT to PORT your procedure, as you will
> migrate ALL sqlservers BAD habits, and get lousy performance.
> If you don't want to rewrite, stay with sqlserver.
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

What Sybrand says. The port is just a starting point for recoding. It should not be considered anything more.

If you don't understand the huge architecture and concepts differences between the two products don't even attempt this. You will just create something that is slow, buggy, unscalable, and likely will corrupt data.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu