Re: URGENT Can you convert SQL Stored Proceedures to Oracle?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 03:02:58 GMT

On Fri, 23 May 2003 17:57:29 -0700, Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 23 May 2003 21:50:23 +0200, "Richard P"
>> <rpooran.news.invalid_at_web2news.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Is there a tool or method of doing this conversion quicker than writing
>> >from scratch.
>>
>> Migration Workbench downloadable at http://otn.oracle.com
>>
>> You are however advised NOT to PORT your procedure, as you will
>> migrate ALL sqlservers BAD habits, and get lousy performance.
>> If you don't want to rewrite, stay with sqlserver.
>>
>> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>>
>> To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

> What Sybrand says. The port is just a starting point for recoding. It should
> not be considered anything more.
>
> If you don't understand the huge architecture and concepts differences
> between the two products don't even attempt this. You will just create
> something that is slow, buggy, unscalable, and likely will corrupt data.

How come? I used it despite the fact that my knowledge of SQL server is virtually nonexisting and no corruption has ever occured. The application was suboptimal but it was nothing that couldn't be tuned. The only problem are the SQL Server's temporary tables which are abundantly used and for each temporary table in SQL Server you get one global temporary table in Oracle. As for the rest, Oracle is more then capable of handling everything else, much better then SQL Server. Migration Workbench is an excellent product and I'm not aware of any corruption issues. I am very interested in examples of such corruption that you might have.

--
Mladen Gogala
Software is like sex, it is better when it is free.